The Trustees Award for Distinction
The Trustees Award for Distinction has been established by the East Carolina University Board of Trustees to recognize those who have provided extraordinary leadership to the university. Distinction is the excellence that sets someone apart, and often includes leading, influencing, and motivating others to achieve a common goal. This award will honor a Pirate who demonstrates the leadership and innovation needed to meet ECU’s mission of student success, public service, and regional transformation. The Trustees Award for Distinction is intended to be one of the most prestigious awards given at ECU each year.
Criteria for the Award
A nominee should have some combination of the following characteristics:
- Demonstrates an uncommon and unwavering commitment to the strategic vision of ECU and unparalleled dedication to ECU’s mission of student success, public service, and regional transformation.
- Champions partnerships to promote the institution and surrounding communities.
- Contributes to ECU’s success through philanthropy, public influence, and/or service.
- Exhibits strong character and ethical professionalism.
Current members of the ECU Board of Trustees are not eligible to receive this award. Former trustees remain ineligible for two years after the completion of their service as a trustee. Employees of East Carolina University are not eligible to receive this award and must be separated from the university for no less than 12 months.
- There will be an annual call for nominations for The Trustees Award at the spring meeting of the ECU Board of Trustees.
- Nominations can be accepted from any source.
- All nominations must include a nomination form, nomination letter and short bio of the nominee. Additional letters of support can be included. Nomination packets should be submitted to the Office of the Assistant Secretary to the Board of Trustees using the online nomination form by August 25, 2023.
- Nominations will be considered by an anonymous selection group comprised of both Board of Trustees and university officials. The selection group will make a recommendation for the Chancellor’s consideration. The Chancellor will formally recommend the honoree to the Athletics and Advancement Committee of the Board of Trustees, and the Athletics and Advancement Committee will further recommend to the ECU Board of Trustees.
Announcement of the Award
The Trustees Award for Distinction will be presented at the December 1, 2023 meeting of the ECU Board of Trustees.